Sunday, November 26, 2006

Good Manga Studio Tips Site

Pencil Killer Manga Studio Tutorials

I recently picked up Scott McCloud's latest, Making Comics, and it has me itching to do some more work on my long neglected comic. Unfortunately, I think that project will have to remain on the backburner for a little while longer, at least until after the holidays. I've got some additions coming to blog soon (some have already been added in embryonic form,) and I've got a b-day present coming tommorrow that will probably keep me busy for at least the next month. But more on these developments, as they shape up.
Of course when I get back to the comic (or graphic novel) I will most certainly be diving back into Manga Studio Pro. Just browsing around the web, I found this link to some good tutorials for the software. The documentation for Manga Studio is better than most software, but it's still not the clearest, and the authors are really aiming to show you how to do traditional manga. That's all well and good, but the software is much more powerful than that, and could be used to crank out any kind of graphic narrative you can dream up. I'd actually recommend it as well to some one doing a zine. I know most zines are run on a shoe string, but more and more are being done with at least some digital tools, and for half the price of Photoshop you get a tool that gives you all the functionality you need from Photoshop, as well the same from Illustrator and InDesign. When you think about $300 ain't bad for a version of Adobe's Creative Suite, that has everything you need for black and white self publication. Add a lower-end paint utility, and you've got color functionality as well.
So anyway, if you take my advice and try Manga Studio, you owe it to yourself to check Pencil Killer. I wasted a lot of time, trying to figure out some the basics that are discussed here.

5:59am PST edit--
Just realized I've posted this before, but this is a far better post, so I'll let it stand.

No comments: