Saturday, September 23, 2006

Beaker Street

Beaker Street

Ah, this has me all misty-eyed with nostalgia. Clyde Clifford's legendary Beaker Street is something of a family tradition. My Mom used to regal me with tales of tuning in the Arkansas station on AM radio as teenager in 60's Kansas. Clyde was like her Wolfman Jack, I suppose. I myself, have some great memories of hanging out in the parking lot of USF&G, kicking a hacky sack around with loser kids who are now sys-admins and trauma surgeons... Besides who couldn't love a burnt-out sixties DJ who is still kicking out the jams, and quotes that lovable old Bull Moose Patriarch on his opening page?

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official,save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else" ...Teddy Roosevelt

No comments: