Saturday, February 03, 2007

Vespa SS180 Restoration Blog

Don't know how I missed this until now.
1967 Vespa SS180 (VSC) is a blog detailing the owners attempts to restore the eponymous classic Vespa.

The objective for this Blog is to (1) educate scooter restoration newbies on the entire process of restoring a scooter in detail, (2) to provide resources to help restorers be successful, and (3) to illustrate what is involved when one takes on the process of a restoration. It is safe to say that the majority of restorations, unless it’s a very rare bike, will not sell for what one invests in the bike financially and time-wise.I am a restoration newbie myself and am quickly learning a lot as I go. The scooter that will be restored on this Blog is rare – Vespa VSC. In the spring of 2005 my wife and I bought a complete, but disassembled 1967 Vespa SS180 from a local scooter club member for $250. Our goal was to completely restore it from the ground up. I planned to do almost all of the work and barter with friends who had specific skills that I do not have to ensure the job was done right. At times, I suspect I would need to hire a professional for a few odd jobs.

Some good stuff here for anyone restoring a classic Vespa, or for those who just like vicarious DIY experiences. They also link to Eric Bamber's SS180 Restoration blog which is, of course in a similar vein.

No comments: