Friday, December 29, 2006

The Woz, Agent of Discordia

The Woz, Agent of Discordia

I don't want to give out too many details, but Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, has a great story about a run-in with the Secret Service in Las Vegas. Definitely a worthy read for all you geeky-pranksters out there.

I had one favorite fake ID that I'd used for almost every airplane flight, domestic and international, that I'd taken for many years. It says "Laser Safety Officer" and has a photo of me with an eyepatch. It also says "Department of Defiance" in an arc, in a font that looks like "Department of Defense" to the casual glance.
As I opened my wallet, I considered whether I should risk using this fake ID on the Secret Service. It probably amounted to a real crime. I had my driver's license as well. But you only live once and only a few of us even get a chance like this once in our lives. So I handed him the fake ID. He noted and returned it. The Secret Service took an ID that said "Laser Safety Officer" with a photo of myself wearing an eyepatch.
You can begin to see why many people don't believe this story when I tell it.

No comments: