Tuesday, December 12, 2006

300

Frank Miller and Lynn Varley's 300

...is going to be a movie. I'm pretty excited about this, more than I was for Sin City. For me the beauty of the Sin City comics is how a film noir aesthetic is translated into ink and paper. Sure it was fascinating and impressive to see how faithfully it was turned into film, but it just wasn't the same. Have you ever seen pictures where people are posed to recreate famous paintings? That's what it reminded me of. Every media has it's own peculiarities, I think it is a mistake to try to slavishly recreate works from one media into another.
Anyway, the trailer for 300 really got me pumped. I don't know why these kinds of stories strike such a deep cord with me. I guess it is that, as Borges says, "only lost causes are of any interest to a gentleman." If like me, you enjoy grim tales of the last stands of noble warriors, you should check out the Battle of Thermopylae, which the basis for 300. It makes the Alamo sound like a tea party.

1 comment:

Combatscoot said...

I know it's been awhile since it was out, but I really enjoyed Tank Girl, the movie. I have the soundtrack, but never got my hands on the movie itself. Shortly after I rented it, the rental company went out of business. I have looked for Tank Girl comics, but haven't found them where I live. We have a new Cosmic Cat opening-up, maybe they will have something...
John