Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Another reason to love Washington state

Another reason to love Washington state

A NY Times article praising the quiet virtues of Wahington Merlots. I have a couple of friends who work in the wine industry, and when we gather these insiders frequently bring Yakima and Columbia Valley sqeezings with them. Since my group of friends are mostly mid-20's to early 30's professionals just starting out, and starving artists/writers we generally are trying to get maximum bang for our buck. One winery both of the pros seem to favor is Sagelands. They craft some right tasty Merlots and Cabs in the $10 to $15 range (frenquently less, if you watch the sales.) Of course those are the prices we pay in state. Your mileage may vary, but in my experience these wines easily hold their own against wines from other regions costing twice as much. I am no wine expert by any means, but I would readily recommend you try these sometime with pasta or a peppered pork tenderloin (roast portabella for you veggies and vegans.) You may just find you agree with me, that these are wines priced for everyday drinking, that you would be ashamed to take to a small dinner party.

If you try 'em, or have other tips on inexpensive wines with high value taste, let me know in the comments...

No comments: