Friday, December 01, 2006

One TV "Preacher" you really will love

HBO hears word, brings 'Preacher' to small screen

Oooh!!
YYYeessss!!!!
My faith in something is restored!

This is a weird synchronicity. Jes and I watched a Bill Hicks video on my birthday, and after doing a little internet searching to learn more about him, I discovered the influence he had on Garth Ennis, one of my favorite comics writers. I mean I remembered the scene where Jesse Custer encounters him in a club in Texas, in one of my all-time favorite comic series, "Preacher", but apparently that influence ran even deeper.

I was told when I grew up I could be anything I wanted: a fireman, a policeman, a doctor - even President, it seemed. And for the first time in the history of mankind, something new, called an astronaut. But like so many kids brought up on a steady diet of Westerns, I always wanted to be the avenging cowboy hero—that lone voice in the wilderness, fighting corruption and evil wherever I found it, and standing for freedom, truth and justice. And in my heart of hearts I still track the remnants of that dream wherever I go, in my endless ride into the setting sun. -Bill Hicks quoted in the last issue of Preacher.

I know I frequently link to stale and old stuff, that tickles my scales, but I've been wracking my reptilian brain for the last few days, trying to find a good hook for a Bill Hicks post. And then Universe (to use Bucky Fuller's idiom) throws this in my lap...

HBO has seen the light and is bringing "Preacher" to the small screen. The pay cable network is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series. Mark Steven Johnson, the writer-director behind comic adaptations "Daredevil" and the upcoming "Ghost Rider," is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink."Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers.

It's like getting the Birthday wish I was too realistic to even wish for!

For those of you who aren't familiar, Preacher was one part John Constantine, one part Bill Hicks, on part the Davinci Code, and one part Jack Kerouac. It's harsh, irreverant, funny, tragic, and a masterful example of just what can be done with the serial comic format for an adult audience.

AND IT'S COMING TO TV!!

oh shit... does this mean, I'm finally going to have to break down and get cable?

No comments: