Saturday, June 02, 2007

Tuli Kupferberg of the Fugs

I'm not even sure how I found Dave Lucas's blog. I'm certainly not quite sure what to make of it.
But then I found his post on Tuli Kupferberg. Complete with links to YouTube vids of Tuli reading poems.

I am an Artist for Arts Sake

From Dave Lucas's blog:

It was raining. I was at the computer. Hopped on YouTube. Wondered what would happen if I typed in "Tuli Kupferberg." I wasn't ready for this! Counterculture Shock! If you happen to be under 30, 40, 50, 60, you might want to watch The Fugs videos first so you'll be a little more tuned in to what's happening. Well into his 80's, Tuli hosts a weekly TV show on NYC cable.

I'm gonna be honest here, and say I really didn't know much about the Fugs. I knew they existed, and were often, along with the MC5, the Stooges, and the Velvets, considered godfathers of Punk. Oh... and somewhere I once saw a clip of Steppenwolf on the Ed Sullivan show, where Ed asks the band who their influences are, one of the guys replies "the Fugs," and Ed says back to him, "the Bugs?"... this goes on for sometime, as Ed seems unable to utter a name so close to another four-letter word starting with "F".

heh, heh, heh...

Anyway, check these 1968 clips from Swedish TV on the Fugs:
Part 1, and Part 2

Check out Dave Lucas's Blog while your at it... I bet you will find some groovy stuff you didn't know enough about, as well.

Oh and Tuli, don't sweat it, I leave my personality at home all the time, too.

No comments: