Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day Late and a Dollar Short: Music Review

Yes, I know it’s been a few days since my last post.
I’m working on a different, but related web-project, which should be unveiled soon.
Whilst working on this project, I been gettin’ in touch with my roots, touchin’ base with my heroes, most of whom, you might have already guessed, “have always been cowboys.”

So some searching for inspirational material along a cowboy theme, turned up a certain gentleman who goes by the self-applied moniker of “Kid Rock.”

Now, I gotta admit, I really wanted to dislike Kid Rock, at first. I ain’t too keen on the mid 90’s metal rap fusion super groups. Limp Biskit and like, really do nuthin’ for me.

But a couple of years back I came across a duet called “Last Stand in Open Country” by the aforementioned Mr. Rock, and the original Red-Headed Stranger, Willie Nelson. And I gotta admit, it’s a right fine song. So, when my cowboy searching turned up Kid Rock this time, I decided to explore that tangent a bit, as I am wont to do.

Since I found that Willie and Kid duet, I gotta say, Kid Rock has become something of a guilty pleasure. And like a lot of guilty pleasures, I didn’t really seek it out, I just milked as much enjoyment out of it as I could when it randomly appeared. But since I started this tangent and started really listening to what I could find of Mr. Rock, I gotta say, I’m not ashamed anymore. As the kids are apt to say, Kid Rock is the shizzit.

Now the Dragon has no hometown. I was raised in the sticks, and in the city. My people been on Turtle Island for over 300 years on each side, but we ain't never been anything but "poor green trash." And Kid Rock speaks to me on that level. Whether you from the hood, or from the trailer park, he ties it all together, into one sweet package of Americana. 'Cause I don't don't give a rat's rectum if your folks came over on the Mayflower... America's the land of the outcast, the unwanted, the outlaw, and Kid Rock is just the latest bard to sing the outlaw song. So like usual, the Dragon is "a day late and dollar short" with these links, on account of living under a rock. Still I think a few of you might find something of interest here, which like me, you might have missed due to misinformed preconceptions.

So I got a monster bandwidth hog of a multi-media post here. It aint work safe, unless you got headphones, cause of some dirty woids, but heck pilgrim, you know the dragon is apt to "Cuss like a sailor...drink like a Mick."

Last Stand in Open Country


The rest of these are sequenced in order of loudness and hardness. If you are an acoustic, country fan, the first ones will be more musical to your ears, while the later ones will be more, as my Grandma (God bless her) refers to Hendrix, "noise."

Hank & Kid explain that in country music you just can't use the F-Word in Country Music


Kid Rock and Jerry Lee Lewis: "Honky Tonk Woman"


Kid Rock Performance with Willie Nelson


FAMILY TRADITION HANK WILLIAMS JR & KID ROCK


WHISKEY BENT AND HELL BOUND HANK WILLIAMS JR & KID ROCK


Only God Knows Why


"Black Chick, White Guy"


American Bad Ass

I like AC/DC and
ZZ Top
Bocephus, Beasties and the kings of rock
Skynard, Segar, Limp,
Korn, the Stones
David Allen Coe and no show Jones
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Pass
that bottle around
Got the rock from Detroit
Soul from Motown
The
underground stoned f***** Pimp
We trash the mack and slap back the
wack
Never snort away
I dont play with crack
But watch me rock with
Liberachies flashed
Punk rock's a clash
Boy bands are trash
I like
Johnny Cash and Grand Master Flash


Cowboy

I ain't no G, I'm just a regular failure
I ain't straight outta compton I'm straight out the trailer


Bawitdaba

And for my hoods of the world misunderstood
I said it's all good and it's all in fun
Now get in the pit and try to love someone

No comments: