Sunday, April 06, 2008

Vespa Expedition to Promote Kindness, Compassion, and Volunteerism

Chef Peter Ramstine is my kind of maniac. On April 1st (seriously) he began a journey through all of the state capitals and 8 Canadian Provinces on his yellow Vespa GTS. Along the way he will be volunteering where-ever he can. Look at this route!
You can view the route and schedule in more detail here.

Peter was originally inspired to start this journey after his experiences volunteering with disaster relief for hurricane Katrina.

Heck, I'll shut up and let him explain it:

I want to inspire people to reach-out to their neighbours. Not the neighbours they know, but the ones they don’t know. I want to inspire people to stop by ‘that soup kitchen‘ they’re always passing by. I want to inspire people to do ‘that thing‘ they’ve ‘always wished they could do.’

Moreover, I’m doing Vespadition because I’m personally tired of talking-the-talk without walking-the-walk. I’m fed up with watching things happen and complaining about them without doing anything meaningful to change it. I’m doing it because I’m tired of being sad at the sight of some of the things I see going on in this world. I’m doing it because I’ve decided simply that I must.

Buddha is quoted as having said: “You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.” I’m doing it to become the path.

I’m doing Vespadition to do it. To be kind. To be compassionate. To volunteer to help-out wherever I can to help make even the slightest, smallest difference.

Who am I? I’m no one. I’m nothing. I’m you. I’m that person who makes eye contact with you and smiles at you. I’m that person who holds the door for you.

Check out the Vespadition blog for stories as the trip progresses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26118