Friday, October 27, 2006

Scooter in the Sticks: Lessons from 100 Posts

Steve Williams, over at Scooter in the Sticks (the thinking person's scooter blog) has posted this great video in cahoots with a reflection on a year of scooter-blogging. Folks I can't recommend his site enough, even if (perhaps ESPECIALLY if) you ain't a scooterist. Steve isn't blogging about 2-strokes vs. 4-strokes, or what's the best aftermarket exhaust. He's blogging about the seemingly small descions we can all make to our lives and the planet more livable. More philosophical than radically environmental, his meditations stem from slowly letting the thing at hand reveal itself, rather than forcing it to fit a particular paradigm. Whether or not he convinces you to trade the SUV for a scoot, I think he might just encourage you to approach your life, or even just some small aspect of it, more consciously.

And his writing style's pretty dang good, too.

The process of riding unwinds me. I can feel the tension, noise, and chaos of a day dissipate as the scooter gains momentum. The scooter asks me to be patient and accept the world around me. It allows me to actually do what has often been suggested. I made the video below before I bought the scooter. I had identified a connection between the photographic work I was doing and the daily work that I was engaged in. Looking at it now I can see the Vespa is a mirror of photography. Both processes do the same thing for me.

Congratulations, Steve. The Dragon anxiously awaits the next year.

1 comment:

Steve Williams said...

punkelf: Man, thanks for the kind words here. As I look back on my riding and blogging it sort of amazes me the direction it has taken. Writing has surfaced as something more important than I would have guessed.

I have some more videos on the way too as soon as I find the right time and circumstance to share them.

steve