Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Robert Anton Wilson Needs Help

Robert Anton Wilson Needs Help

Bob Wilson's health and financial problems are all over the blogosphere in the last 24 hours. But, in case you missed it, the Dragon is gonna give him a plug (as well as some aid.) Mark over at bOINGbOING reports recieving this update, from Denis who manages Wilson's care:

Anyway, this morning Bob's daughter showed up at his house in tears because she had checked his PayPal account and found money for next month's rent plus more. Bob called me to say that he couldn't believe people would care so much about him and as we talked (which isn't easy for him at this point) he was overcome with emotion more than once. He is so touched and RELIEVED at the possibility of staying in his home. He kept repeating to me his deep felt appreciation and disbelief that people would care so much about him. What a humble and sweet man.

Robert Anton Wilson was definitely a very huge influence on me as a youngster. That influence was so deep, it would be impossible for me to define how broadly it spreads into my adult life. He introduced me to Quantam Physics, Zen, Taoism, Tantra, and horde of other tools for critical thinking. Perhaps most important, he taught me the importance of not mistaking the map for the territory, that all these various disciplines, philosophies, and sciences are just maps, useful for navigating through reality, but never to be mistaken for reality. He is witty, erudite, wise, wacky, wierd and wonderful.

So even though his fans have come through and helped keep the wolves from his door, I encourage any one reading this, whose life has been enriched by Bob and has the means, to help him out some more. The immediate crisis maybe dealt with, but his problems have not been solved. If Bob is about to leave us, let's send him out in comfort and style.

This is from Douglas Rushkoff's blog, one of the first to call for help for RAW:

I hope people I've inspired with my work would band together to help me out in my later years if I needed it. Which is at least part of the reason why I'm sending what I can to support cosmic thinking patriarch Robert Anton Wilson, whose infirmity and depleted finances have put him in the precarious position of not being able to meet next month's rent.In case the name doesn't immediately ring a bell, Bob is the guy who wrote Cosmic Trigger - still the best narrative on how to enter and navigate the psycho-spiritual realm, and co-wrote the Illuminatus Trilogy, an epic work that pushes beyond conspiracy theory into conspiracy practice. Robert Anton Wilson will one day be remembered alongside such literary philosophers as Aldous Huxley and James Joyce.
But right now, Bob is a human being in a rather painful fleshsuit, who needs our help. I refuse for the history books to say he died alone and destitute, for I want future generations to know we appreciated Robert Anton Wilson while he was alive.
Let me add, on a personal note, that Bob is the only one of my heroes who I was not disappointed to actually meet in person. He was of tremendous support to me along my road, and I'm honored to have the opportunity to be of some support on his.
Any donations can be made to Bob directly to the Paypal account olgaceline@gmail.com. You can also send a check payable to Robert Anton Wilson to Dennis Berry c/o Futique TrustP.O. Box 3561Santa Cruz, CA 95063.

No comments: