Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Foul-Weather Steam Punk Scootering Gear: Part two, the affordable alternative




Ok, I can already hear the responses to the previous post, "But Honky-Tonk D, there is no way I can drop a few hundred dollars on a wool coat!"

Hey, guess what, neither can the Dragon! So what does the Dragon do for some quality wool personal insulation?

East German officer's gear. 100% wool, heavy weight, and that old-school eastern bloc military styling is pretty steampunk. And it's inexpensive. Mind-bogglingly inexpensive for what you get, though I recommend staying with the officer's gear and steering clear of the enlisted stuff. There is a significant difference in the quality of workmanship and materials.
For example, the Army Officer's overcoat seen on the left is $25. I've owned two of these in my day, and they are nice. I think both of them got lost in moves, cause I put them through the paces and couldn't wear 'em out. For the average rain around here, this thing would also eliminate the need for a lap apron or scooter skirt.

No comments: